ZENB Rotini with Vegan Mixed Mushroom Bolognese
PREP TIME 20 minutes
COOK TIME 70 minutes
TOTAL TIME 90 minutes
Serving Size: 390g
|Amount per Serving*||% Daily Value|
Vegan, gluten-free, and low-calorie, this version of Bolognese is the perfect plant-based swap for the traditional version. Using lots of mushrooms, ZENB Rotini Pasta and ZENB Sweet Carrot and Tomato Marinara Gourmet Pasta Sauce, this recipe delivers on flavor while providing a good source of fiber.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, finely chopped
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, finely chopped
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon each kosher salt & ground black pepper
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 carton (15.5 ounces) ZENB Sweet Carrot and Tomato Marinara Gourmet Pasta Sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 box (12 ounces) ZENB Rotini Pasta made from 100% Yellow Peas, uncooked
Heat oil in a large heavy bottom pot on medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, salt & pepper. Cook 20 minutes stirring frequently, until browned. Add onions, carrots, celery and red pepper; cook 8-10 minutes until vegetables are softened.2.
Stir in ZENB Sauce and oregano. Cook 6-8 minutes while scraping brown bits from bottom of pan. Reduce heat to low. Simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until sauce is slightly thickened.3.
Meanwhile, cook pasta as directed on package; drain. Add pasta to sauce; mix gently until well combined.
Reconstitute 1/2 ounce dried porcini mushrooms in 1/2 cup of hot water for an extra flavor boost. Finely chop the reconstituted mushrooms before adding with the soaking liquid to the pot with the other vegetables.
Keep this dish vegan by sprinkling with vegan Parmesan style topping or nutritional yeast flakes before serving.
Share on Instagram
Did you make this or any of our other recipes? Share on Instagram using #ZENBRecipes and tag @ZENB_Life. We'll repost our favorites with our Plant Pals.